Cartography is the science of developing maps to symbolically reveal geography. Cartographers are expert in drawing up numerous kinds of charts and maps. They are employed by several organizations such as state agencies, construction companies, surveyors, utility companies, engineers, architects, etc. Also, they also work on topographical maps, along with maps related to town planning, travel and tourism, military, geological exploration and weather forecasting.
Academic Entry Requirement
- Grade 12 – Clear Class XII in Science Stream
- Graduation – Pursue B.Sc. Geography/ Geology/ Chemistry/ Mathematics or Pursue B.Tech.
- After Graduation – Pursue M.Sc. Geography/ Applied Geography/Geoinformatics/Geology or Pursue M. Tech Geoinformatics/ Geotechnical Engineeringor Pursue Post Graduate Diploma in Remote sensing and GIS/Digital Cartography.
- After Post graduation – Phil Geography/ Geology/ Ph.D./ Post Graduate Diploma in Remote sensing and GIS/Digital Cartography or Ph.D./ Post Graduate Diploma in Remote sensing and GIS/Digital Cartography .
- Bachelor’s Degree in Cartography
- Master’s Degree in Cartography
Who can hire?
Cartographers work in government, conservationand surveying field. The government requiredleadingdepartments of cartographers comprisingthe Ministry of Defence, Ordnance Survey, the Department of Transportand tourism departments. Some private sector organization using remote sensing technology and GIS also need the service of a qualified Cartographer.
Cartographers can increase career skills through bachelor’s degree programs that includebiology, geology,geography, politics, statistics, drafting, and drawing and computer technology. There are various job openings with the government, as well as engineering and architectural firms and technical consulting services.