Marine Engineering is a subset of MECHANICAL ENGINEERING related to maintenance, design, construction, installation, repair and carrying out operations in a shipping industry. It basically observes technological servicing of the systems in the ship. Marine engineering is a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering/electronics engineering. Marine Engineers can choose in particular area to specialize. For Example: You can focus on maintenance of engines and propulsion systems in dry dock. Or, you may choose design engineer where you will spend more time in designing using CAD software.
Academic Entry Requirement
- Grade 12 – Science Stream
- Graduation – Pursue B.Tech in Marine Engineering / Ocean Engineering
- After Graduation – Pursue M.Tech in Marine Engineering, Pursue GME (Graduate Marine Engineering), Pursue Post Graduate Diploma
- After Post Graduation – Pursue Ph.D.
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- E / B.Tech in Marine Engineering
- E / M.Tech in Marine Engineering
- Sc. in Marine Geology
Who can hire?
Shipping firms, Engine manufacturing companies, Ship design firms, Shipyards, Ship building firms, Research Institutions and Maritime universities can hire.
Employment of Marine engineers growing 12% from 2016 which is faster than other occupations. Most of the time is spent in designing projects and solving problems in office with the help of CAD software. Occasionally you need to go out in the ships they design, in order to maintain or test them.