Chemistry is a branch of the physical sciences, dealing with the study of the composition, properties, structure, and the changes of matter. It is a part of our everyday lives and studying chemistry helps you develop subject-specific skills valued by all employers and thus opens doors to a wide range of careers, most of which aim to solve global challenges. It is a very versatile field and can help one get into any industrial, educational, scientific or government field.
[/td_block_text_with_title][td_block_text_with_title custom_title=”WHAT ALL CAN I DO?” header_color=”#e88f1b”][/td_block_text_with_title]
Chemical engineers work in a number of sectors including energy, oil and gas, plastics, water treatment, toiletries, pharmaceuticals food and drink, etc.
Pharmaceutical chemists design, develop, analyze, and regulate new and existing pharmaceutical drugs. Pharmaceutical chemists research and develop new and cost-effective drugs for the market, and test them to ensure that the products are suitable for public consumption.
Chemists in the healthcare sector are called as Clinical Biochemists. Their analysis takes place in laboratories and healthcare units, and aids the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Biochemical Consultants are often sought by government and private organizations for expert review. Legal departments of Corporations, Law firms, Hospitals, etc. also hire consultants.
Even though research scientist work in different settings; most of their work is based in laboratories. Chemical research teams conduct rigorous research by applying scientific methods and standards.
Teachers and educators are employed at the primary and senior secondary school level, as well as the college level. Working as a guest lecturer or speaker is also an option.
|Stream||Graduation||After Graduation||After Post Graduation|
|Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc. (Hons) Biochemistry or B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry for 3 years||Pursue M.Sc. Chemistry for 2 years||–|
|Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Tech Chemical Engineering for 4 years||Pursue M.Sc. Chemistry for 2 years||–|
|Clear Class XII with Science Stream||Pursue B.Sc (Hons) in Chemistry/Biochemistry for 3 years or B.Tech in Chemical Engineering for 4 years||Pursue PG Diploma in Chemistry/ Biochemistry/ Chemical Engineering for 1-2 years||–|
- Some colleges/university have admissions in B.Sc. (Hons) in Chemistry/ Biochemistry/ Chemical Engineering following their own entrance test
[/td_block_text_with_title][td_block_text_with_title custom_title=”WORK DESCRIPTION” header_color=”#dd3333″ separator=”” tdc_css=””]
- Examining samples from different origins to provide data on compounds or amount of compounds present
- Innovating on techniques to examine drug product and chemicals
- Using a variety of analytical methods, instruments and software to conduct research on chemicals
- Examining data and following rules and instructions while writing reports
- Staying abreast of health and safety matters
- Coordinating with associated fields and stakeholders
- Presenting and publishing results based on experiments